News

Judge approves NFL concussion settlement

Judge approves NFL concussion settlement

CONCUSSIONS:More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions. Photo: Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A federal judge has granted preliminary approval to a deal that would compensate former NFL players for concussion-related claims.

Attorneys Sol Weiss and Christopher Seeger said in a statement that Monday’s decision represents “an extraordinary settlement” for the plaintiffs.

The NFL last month agreed to remove a $675 million cap on damages after U.S. District Judge Anita Brody questioned whether there would be enough money to pay all claims.

The settlement is designed to last at least 65 years and cover retirees who develop Lou Gehrig’s disease and other neurological problems.

More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions.

Recent Headlines

in Music

Pharrell says he didn’t copy Marvin Gaye in ‘Blurred Lines’

Fresh
thickepharrell

"Blurred Lines" was 2013's biggest hit and earned more than $16 million in profits.

in Music, Viral Videos

‘Uptown Funk’ sung in cartoon voices

10-overlay2

What if the cast of "Family Guy" sung the hit single by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars?

in Entertainment

Bruce Willis to make Broadway debut

brucewillis

The "Die Hard" star will take the stage adaptation of Stephen King's acclaimed novel "Misery."

in Entertainment

‘Downton Abbey’ star slated to play the Beast

danstevens

Dan Stevens is set to play the Beast in the live-action adaptation of the fairy tale.