This page lists rules for various contests on radio station WHAI. You may need to scroll down to find the rules you’re looking for.
These are the rules governing the “Backyard BBQ” giveaway on WHAI. The grand prize consists of a brand new outdoor grill (retail value $399), a filled propane tank (retail value $50) and a catered BBQ for up to 25 people at the winner’s home. (retail value of the food provided is $200) Total value of the prize is $649. This contest runs from June 16th, 2014 and July 7th, 2014.
1. No purchase necessary.
2. To be eligible to win the prize, you must first become one of the 98 “qualifiers” who will be entered into a grand prize drawing on July 7th, 2014.
3. Between June 16th, 2014 and July 3rd, 2014, WHAI will make one hour appearances at participating sponsors. These appearances will take place each weekday (6/16-7/3) between 5 and 6pm. There will be a total of 14 appearances. During those appearances, which will be promoted ahead of time on the air and listed at www.whai.com, listeners can enter their name in a registration box. At the end of each appearance, seven names will be randomly drawn from the registration box, and those names will become qualifiers. Listeners may only qualify once during the duration of the contest. Only one entry per person is allowed at each sign-up location. Listeners must be present to enter a registration slip.
4. Grand prize winner will be determined by a random drawing of the 98 qualifiers on July 7th, 2014. The qualifier need not be listening to win. Winner will be notified by phone and will be required to pick up the grill and propane tank at the WHAI studios in Greenfield on a weekday between 8am and 5pm. Prize will be available for pick up on July 7th, 2014.
5. Winner must pick a Monday through Thursday night in July or August of 2014 to hold the barbecue. The date chosen must be agreed to by WHAI management. On the date of the barbecue, all food will be provided by WHAI. WHAI will NOT provide any alcoholic beverages, and will not be held responsible for the actions of any guest found to be under the influence of alcohol. WHAI reserves the right to end the BBQ and leave the premises if persons under the influence of alcohol, or any other drug, cause an unsafe environment in the opinion of the WHAI staff members at the BBQ, or if underage guests are witnessed consuming alcohol.
6. WHAI will make every attempt to have WHAI personalities Jay Fidanza, Bobby C., Matt Gregory and Nick Danjer present at the BBQ. But it will depend on the date chosen by the winner and the availability of those personalities on the date in question. WHAI personalities will remain at the BBQ for a minimum of two hours.
7. WHAI contests are open to all eligible Massachusetts/New Hampshire/Vermont residents 18 years or older that have not won anything on WHAI in the past 30 days or any prize valued at $600 or more in the past 6 months. Only one winner per household is permitted within 30 days after a household has a winner. Any prize awarded to an ineligible listener will be deemed null and void, and an alternate eligible winner may be named.
8. Employees of WHAI, Saga Communications of New England, and its ultimate parent company, Saga Communications, Inc., their advertising agencies, affiliates, contest sponsors, employees and immediate families of each, and employees of all media of mass communication within a one hundred mile radius of the WHAI main studio are not eligible to win any contest. Immediate family includes the spouse, great-grandparents, grandparents, parents, brothers, sisters, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren of the employee and his/her spouse. This also includes individuals for whom the employee is current legal guardian.
9. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply.
10. WHAI, Saga Communications of New England, Inc., its parent corporation, Saga Communications, Inc., their agencies, employees, and representatives absolve themselves and shall be held harmless from any action or liability arising from the “Backyard BBQ” contest or the prize awarded in said contest.
11. Winner is responsible for all taxes on prize awarded. Winner must fill out the appropriate tax forms at the WHAI studios, and provide a valid photo ID before receiving the prize.
Entrants must meet other legal requirements detailed in the official rules, to grant permission to use entrant’s name and likeness without compensation and to sign a release. This contest is subject to federal, state and local laws. All of WHAI general contest rules posted on the web site also apply to this promotion. WHAI reserves the right in its sole discretion to supplement or make changes to the rules of any contest at any time without notice and reserves the right to interpret the rules of any contest, and such interpretation shall be binding upon all participants.”
GENERAL CONTEST RULES
These are the rules governing all contests aired on WHAI/WPVQ radio and on the whai.com and bear953.com websites, unless otherwise specified. In the following rules, WHAI/WPVQ means Saga Communications of New England, LLC, which owns WHAI and WPVQ radio:
1. No purchase is necessary to enter any contest.
2. To be eligible to win any prize on WHAI/WPVQ you must not have won anything on the station in the past 30 days or any prize valued at $600 or more in the past 6 months. Only one winner per household is permitted within 30 days after a household has a winner. Any prize awarded to an ineligible listener will be deemed null and void, and an alternate eligible winner may be named.
3. Anytime you call the WHAI/WPVQ studios you assume that your call will be broadcast or recorded and you grant us permission to broadcast the call or record it for later broadcast.
4. As a winner of a WHAI/WPVQcontest your voice, name and/or picture may be used for promotional, broadcast, or internet purposes.
5. Prizes awarded are not redeemable for cash. No prize is transferable. No substitution for a prize will be made at the request of winner. WHAI/WPVQreserves the right to substitute a prize of similar value.
6. All winners of all contests are responsible for all taxes on prize awarded. All winners of a prize valued at $600 or more will be required to complete the appropriate tax forms at the WHAI/WPVQ studios prior to claiming prize. All winners will be sent a 1099 MISC federal tax form if in one calendar year the prize value of all prizes won exceeds $600.
7. In the event the winner is subject to or the subject of any order or legal process issued by any governmental agency having jurisdiction over the affairs of the winner (i.e. garnishment, child support order, judgment, lien, and the like), WHAI/WPVQ delivery of the prize to the official representative of the governmental entity claiming a right to the prize shall be thus deemed as (station) awarding the prize to the winner. WHAI/WPVQ shall be entitled to rely in good faith, upon any documents presented by the representative seeking to collect the prize in lieu of the winner. WHAI/WPVQ shall not be liable for any claim by any winner for damages incidental thereto.
8. All WHAI/WPVQ contests are open to all eligible persons 18 or over (unless otherwise specified). Contestants must possess a valid form of identification bearing the picture of the contestant acceptable to WHAI/WPVQ that will be presented to WHAI/WPVQ and accepted before the prize is awarded. Employees of WHAI/WPVQ, Saga Communications of new England, LLC and its ultimate parent company, Saga Communications, Inc., their advertising agencies, affiliates, contest sponsors, employees and immediate families of each, and employees of all media of mass communication within a one hundred mile radius of the WHAI/WPVQ main studio are not eligible to win any contest. Immediate family includes the spouse, great-grandparents, grandparents, parents, brothers, sisters, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren of the employee and his/her spouse. This also includes individuals for whom the employee is current legal guardian.
9. Winners will be expected to claim prize at the WHAI/WPVQ studios, 81 Woodard Rd in Greenfield MA, between 8:00am and 5:00pm, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) within 30 days of being notified that they are winners, unless there is an expiration date on prize, which will be specifically stated.
10. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Contest is void where prohibited.
11. WHAI/WPVQ reserves the right to disqualify any winner if any contest rules are violated in any way.
12.WHAI/WPVQ, Saga Communications of new England, LLC, its parent corporation, Saga Communications, Inc., assumes no liability for situations, repairs, or incidents arising from any aspect of any prize awarded in any contest. WHAI/WPVQ,Saga Communications of New England, LLC., its parent corporation, Saga Communications, Inc., their advertising agencies, affiliates, contest sponsors, employees, and immediate families of each absolve themselves and shall be held harmless from any action or liability arising from any contest or prize awarded in any contest.
13. As a licensee of the FCC and a trustee of the public airwaves, WHAI/WPVQ reserves the right to interrupt and/or discontinue any contest or promotion (and not award the offered prize) at the discretion of WHAI/WPVQ management if world events, the national mood, or public safety so warrant.
14. WHAI/WPVQ reserves the right to amend the rules to any contest at any time. The judge’s decision is always final.
15. For any contest requiring phone entry you must use only the following number unless otherwise specified: (413) 774-6565 (WHAI) or (413) 773-9530 (WPVQ). For texting it is 77000. The person operating the telephone at WHAI/WPVQ has the final decision as to who is the winning caller.
16. WHAI/WPVQ shall have no responsibility for contestant’s inability or failure to participate, failure to win or claim any prize based on malfunction or difficulties with telephone, cell phone, texting, email, or internet access, or any other circumstances in any contest beyond Station’s control.
17. The following are specifically related to E-contests and E-Mail Club promotions on whai.com and bear953.com:
a. All appropriate information in required fields must be filled out correctly and completely or you will be disqualified.
b. To win a prize you must reside within the listening area of WHAI/WPVQ as defined at the exclusive discretion of WHAI/WPVQ management.
c. Any problems with the internet or email are not WHAI/WPVQ’s responsibility.
d. Contestants who register to participate on our website may be required to produce a printed copy of proof of registration before being allowed to participate in the contest.
e. Due to the nature of our programs that are heard on-line over the internet, contests may not be heard at all. Contests heard on the radio station’s internet audio stream may be slightly delayed from the time the contests are heard on the broadcast station, and will be running behind the broadcast signal. Thus, all contests heard are delayed. This delay can last for as much as 30 seconds or more. This means that when WHAI/WPVQ contests are played that require a specific caller to telephone the radio station (such as “Caller number 9 when you hear the sound effect”), listeners to the on-line audio stream may be at a disadvantage in participating over those listeners who hear the contests on-air.
18. A copy of these rules are available during business hours at the WHAI/WPVQ studios, 81 Woodard Rd., Greenfield MA.